An upset stomach, also known as dyspepsia or indigestion, is a common and uncomfortable condition characterized by various symptoms related to the digestive system. These symptoms can include:
- Stomach Pain or Discomfort: You may experience a dull, gnawing, or sharp pain in the upper abdomen.
- Bloating: Your stomach may feel full, tight, or swollen.
- Nausea: You might feel queasy or the sensation of wanting to vomit.
- Vomiting: Some people with upset stomachs may actually vomit, which is the forceful expulsion of stomach contents through the mouth.
- Gas: You may experience excessive burping or passing gas.
- Feeling Overly Full: Even after consuming a small amount of food, you might feel overly full or uncomfortable.
- Indigestion: Difficulty digesting food, leading to discomfort or a sense of food not moving smoothly through the digestive tract.
Upset stomachs can occur for various reasons, including overeating, consuming spicy or fatty foods, gastrointestinal infections, stress, indigestion, or underlying medical conditions like gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). In most cases, an upset stomach is a temporary and benign issue that can be managed with dietary changes and over-the-counter remedies. If you have an upset stomach, certain bland and easily digestible foods can help soothe your discomfort and provide relief. Here are 12 foods that are often considered suitable for calming an upset stomach:
Bananas are often recommended as a soothing food for individuals with an upset stomach. They are bland, which means they are unlikely to irritate an already sensitive stomach.
Bananas are rich source of potassium, an essential electrolyte that can be depleted when you have an upset stomach, particularly if you’ve been vomiting or experiencing diarrhea. Consuming bananas can help replenish potassium levels. They have a natural antacid effec – which can help neutralize stomach acid and reduce the discomfort associated with acid reflux or heartburn.
Bananas are generally well-tolerated by most people. If you’ve been unable to eat due to your upset stomach, bananas can provide a gentle source of energy and ease stomach discomfort.